Job Update

Day 1 - Friday, Orientation day

I find the orientation boring... and everything can be done in 4 hours but they stretch it out till 7 hours! I was really sleepy during the training. But the stories shared by our instructor were also interesting to hear. Makes me feel like I will enjoy the work in the long run.

Day 2 - Saturday, First day OJT

My shift starts at 5am and ends at 1pm. My day offs are Tuesdays and Wednesdays. There goes my weekend! The good thing is I finished at 1pm, so we can still do some road trips if we wanted to. [Sunrise now is approximately 6am and sunset is at 9:30pm already]

I was standing for a total of 6 hours and 15 minutes... the rest were break time. We got 2 coffee break for 20 minutes each... and lunch break is 35 minutes long. But since its our first day, we were given a total of 1 hour and 45 minutes breaktime.

Famous phrases I've said a thousand times since I started working:
      * Hello / Bonjour
      * Boarding pass please
      * Any liquid or gel?
      * Thank you / Merci

We have a lot of Japanese tourist here, so I am able to used my basic Nihongo knowledge:
      * Konnichiwa ["hi" and "hello"]
      * Arigatou [Thank You]
      * Sayonara [Goodbye]

My feet hurt from standing for 8 hours! We are not allowed to sit! I was really ready to quit after 3 hours into my first day at OJT.

After my shift, I went home and pick up hubby and the kids... I need a driver to do some shopping for a more comfortable and soft shoes for my precious feet. My one day salary just went to a pair of Naturalizer black shoes.

Total break time was again at 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Day 3

I find it hard to wake up this morning as I feel that my feet still wants to rest. The day turn out better coz my feet were not as tired as the day before, thanks to Naturalizer. But then I started to feel my back aching a little. Arrrgh! I think my bones are getting weaker already coz I am getting old!

I've talked to a couple of people and ask them if this job is worth it, and they are all positive about it. They all say that it won't be as bad after a week or so.

Day 4 - a statutory holiday [Victoria Day] but I don't get paid for stat.

I really wanted to call in sick... since I don't get paid for working this holiday. [I need to be employed with them for 30 days before I am entitled for holiday pay.]

When I woke up this morning, my body was saying to stay in bed... so I tried to call a 1-800 number to call in sick. But that number is not in service at that hour [I later found out that 1am is the last hour to call in sick]. So I have no choice but to drag my feet to work.

I am on my day off for the next 2 days [Tuesday and Wednesday]! Yey! I think I should try to look for an office job [as soon as we came back from our vacation]! I am just not fit to be on my feet for 8 hours, 5 times a week! For now, I just have to get through the next 10 weeks!!!


ladycess said...

a couple more weeks and im sure youll be surprised kaya mo nang tumayo ng 10 hours straight :) it's a good thing you bought comfy shoes.

ann said...

sanayan nga lang din siguro, di ba sa mga malls, more than 8 hrs din yung mga salesladies.

feeling siguro na nag gym for the first time, masakit sa katawan.

auee said...

baka after 10 weeks amenable ko na to stay... ganyan talaga sometimes the first 2 weeks are the hardest

pa-foot rub ka sa hubby mo

JO said...

Hi Cess,
"KUNG" tumagal ako ng couple more weeks, I'm sure masasanay din ako.

Hi Ann,
Oo nga, di biro pala ang mga trabaho na ganyan!

Hi Auee,
Baka... benefits in this company is good, better than hubby's benefits actually.

ghee said...

ur work starts at 5am,Jo?waahh,ang srap pang matulog nun! wow,up to 9 30,maliwanag pa sa inyo?sarap mag drive...

thats tough,Jo..8 hrs...u need a massage from ur hubby :)

MommyBa said...

Who knows? Baka magustuhan mo rin eventually ang work mo. You get to meet all sorts of people at the airport. I actually think that you have an interesting job pero yun nga lang medyo physically stressful because you get to stand long hours talaga:)

I love Naturalizer shoes, comfy!

fennymun said...

starts at 5:00am?! It will be tough for me.

Heart of Rachel said...

Hi Jo. The 1st few weeks or so are usually spent adjusting to your new job. Hope things will work out for the best.

Glad you were able to buy comfortable shoes. I think getting those shoes is worth it because they are very comfortable and durable.

Love said...

I started out in retail (to get my Canadian experience)and standing for 8 hrs is tough but you'll get used to it in a couple of weeks.

What I found more difficult was not having a normal schedule and working on weekends which I consider as family time.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your work!

JO said...

Hi Ghee,
Yup, that's the only sched that will work for me and my kids!

Hi Liz,
Yes, the job sounds interesting when I interview the people who works there already. I just hope my feet and legs can take it.

Hi Fenny,
It needs some getting used to.

Hi Rach,
I think I need one more shoes. I can't wear the same shoes for 5 days straight, and on my toes the whole time.

Hi Love,
My husband is not too keen on me working on weekdays too... but I have to start somewhere right?

Junnie said...

Konichiwa Jo!

Bon jour, at sana hindi na sumakit ang mga paa mo sa kakatayo....konting tiis na lang, as they say the first steps are always the hardest.

hopefully, you'd soon enjoy the work, if not, sayonara di ba?

First you have to love your that you wont have to work any minute at all.

dangkin said...

8 hrs standing?! wow!!

pero, nakaya mo na ang first few days mo, i know kakayanin mo ang mga susunod pa na araw.. buy another pair of shoes para di mag reklamo ang precious feet mo :)

God Bless!

Raquel said...

Hi Jo, magandang exercise yan. Don't worry makahanap ka rin ng bagong work after your vacation in the Philippines. For the mean time, mag enjoy ka muna jan , cgurado ako mababawasan ng konte ang timbang mo, hehehe.

JO said...

Hi Junnie,
Titiisin ko lang hanggang sa bakasyon namin sa pinas... and then, if I like it I'll come back but if not, then time for another job hunt!

Hi Dangkin,
Not really 8 hours, kasi we have 3 breaks totalling to 1 hour and 15 minutes... and sometimes more depende sa OIC.

Hi Raquel,
Naku, ewan ko lang kung pumayat na ako... kung dati di ako ng bre-breakfast, ngayon, I eat my breakfast at around 7am... and lunch break is around 9:30am... last break is around 11:30am... mas madalas pa ang kain ko ngayon!