In case you haven't notice, you have been redirected from blogspot to my own domain name.
Here's my new domain -- http://www.joarduo.com/...
Let me know the problems you are encountering. Thanks!
Happy weekend to all!
In case you haven't notice, you have been redirected from blogspot to my own domain name.
13 tax advice for Canadians!
- If you are married and have children under 16 years old, file your taxes together! You don't want to missed out on 2 new credits offered by the government: the child amount of $2000 each and the children's fitness amount to a max of $500 each. Both are non-refundable tax credit that will lower your tax payable.
- For senior citizens receiving pensions, you are now entitle to income splitting... file your taxes together to find out if this is to your advantage or not.
- If you have parents over 65 years old and lives with you for most part of the year, be sure to claim caregiver amount. This is another huge tax credit.
- Keep all medical receipts that were not reimbursed to you by your insurance company, it may make a difference in your tax return.
- You are allowed to accumulate your donation receipts for up to 5 years. This will give you more credit.
- For students working part-time or full-time, be sure to bring your T2202A slip. This form can easily be downloaded through your school's website under your account. Your tuition is deductible and will give you huge tax savings.
A lot of people has been moving to Calgary...
here's a few more tips --
- If you move from one city to the next because of a job opportunity, you may be eligible to claim moving expenses. Be sure to keep all your receipts like gas, hotel, meals, movers and anything related to the move. The distance of the move from your old address to the new one has to be at least 40 kms.
- And if with your move you had to sell your house and purchase a new one in the new city, you are also allowed to claim advertising cost, real estate commissions and lawyer's fees. These are only deductible against income earned in the new city.
- But if you move with someone else and you share the same moving expenses, only one of you can claim.
- And if your moving expenses has been reimbursed by your employer you can no longer claim it in your tax return unless you were reimbursed through your paystub and that amount has been added to your income and you were taxed on it.
More reminders --
- Make sure you have all your documents ready. Do not file your tax return if you know you are missing a document or two. It will take CRA approximately 2 months before they can process adjustments.
- If you are owing CRA, make sure you still file your tax return before April 30th. This will save you 5% in penalty charges.
- Set up direct deposit with CRA. You will get your refund in 5-10 business days! No need to do "instant refund" or "cash back" with your tax company especially if your refund is more than $1000 because this will cost you a lot.
NOTE: There are of course some restriction on some of these rules, find out more by consulting with your tax preparer.
REMINDER: Deadline for filing your taxes is April 30... Tax offices are usually busy during the first 2 weeks of March and the last 2 weeks of April.
I had a senior citizen lady client. She left her 2005 and 2006 tax returns for me to do last April 2007. I've done everything, all she has to do was to come and sign the papers and pay for our fees. But she never came. And so after my contract last year, I just left her file with my supervisor who is working the whole year.
Yesterday, her pending files were given back to me. It is still pending. So I called her and told her that she should file her taxes to avoid further penalties and interest. She came in today.
She told me she went through a very difficult time with her husband's passing in 2005... and has been left with debts and medical bills that she was forced to go into bankruptcy. She lost everything including her house. Her only son threw her out of his house too.
It has been very difficult for me to deal with her as I don't know how to console her or make her debts with Canada Revenue Agency [CRA] go away. She couldn't even afford to pay me for my bills as she claims she is only getting $600+ a month from the government. She has to drove all the way from Black Diamond to Calgary [approximately 1 hour drive] just to see me, only to hear some bad news that she owes CRA more than $2400+ for those 2 years tax return.
She left feeling sad and me feeling helpless. I told my supervisor the story after and it made me teary-eyed. My supervisor made a few suggestions to me so I called the lady and ask her to come back to the office so she can talk to my supervisor. She did.
She's old and she's all alone! I don't want to grow old and alone... so the least that I can do for her is to do her taxes for free. It's a good thing I have employee discount that I can apply for her. But even after doing this, how come I still have a heavy heart?
I don't know the story between her and her son. But as a parent, we should and can always forgive the mistakes of our children, that's our role. But as a son/daughter, isn't it also our role to forgive the mistakes of our parents and take care of them like they took care of us when we were little and a brat?
I guess this is it for my movie marathon... I will be very busy the till end of April due to the tax season. I will still be popping in and out of your blog from time to time.
The last 13 movies that I've downloaded and watched at home
~ Love it... love it... love it... ~
~ Very entertaining... love it... ~
~ A little dragging... but they are not bad. ~
~ Boring.... boring.... boring... ~
Don't waste your time on these movies!
Join Thursday Thirteen
How do I increase the page rank of my blog? I honestly don't know how these page ranking works. My google page rank just went down from 3/10 to 0/10... and because of this I don't get to see anymore [sponsored post] opportunities available to me.
I still need to make a couple more hundred dollars to be able to buy myself an SLR digital camera before June. When I first started this paid blogging thing, my target was to be able to buy myself a laptop... instead, I bought myself a new cellphone [a Motorola SLVR L7] and hopefully an SLR digital camera. The laptop can wait for now.
So any tips you can give me to increase my page rank would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Our simple Red Ribbon's wedding cake
And a Valentine's card from my little girl [in French]!
"Happy Valentine's day Mom!
You are a pretty Mom!
I love your black hair!
I love your eyes!
You are beautiful!"
Happy Heart's day to all of you!!!
I received 6 pink roses from hubby and the kids!
In case you haven't seen my countdown banner on top, we are all going home this June to attend my brother-in-law's wedding! I am really really excited about this trip since it will be the first time for Patrick to wear a Barong Tagalog and a first for Patricia as Junior Bride's Maid!
The best part about this trip though is we were able to purchase our tickets for C$890/adult and C$677/child. This is the cheapest airfare we've seen!!! So for those travelling from North America to Asia, you might want to check out www.toureast.com.[This is not a paid ad.]
While I was in Manila last August, I saw this Nokia charger located just outside the ladies' bathroom at Glorietta Mall.
I think Filipinos can't live without their cellphones anymore. Anybody can basically own a cellphone now-a-days. The maid, the pedicab/tricycle/taxi/jeepney drivers have their own cellphones. So if your cellphone runs low on battery, you can just charge them here. Don't know if its free though.
This is the first time I've seen a public bathroom with small TV screens... this was taken in one of the bathroom inside the Sunridge Mall in Calgary.
Pardon the picture, I used my cellphone's [low tech] camera to take this picture.
Here's an interesting conversation we deal with everyday at work:
Screening Officer [SO]: Sir, do you have any liquids in your bag?
SO: Can I check your bag sir?
SO opening the bag and looking inside to find 6 packs of beer cans.
SO: Sir, these are not allowed.
Passenger: But those are not liquids, they're beer.
Kung Hei Fat Choi!!!
This posting is a bit late...
My daughter arranged these starfish in a straight line and ask me to take a picture of them.
Honda bay, Puerto Princesa, Palawan, Philippines
Click here to join PMN Family Photo
Previous PMN Photo entry:
September 2007: Potted
October 2007: Green
November 2007: Plated
December 2007: Messy
January 2008: At play
I've always been wanting to watch this since I read in several blogs that it is good. I just don't want to add this to the list of TV shows that I am currently watching week after week. But finally, I decided to borrow season 1 and I love it!!!
Today, I just finished watching season 2 and I think Cristina Yang and Preston Burke's are the most interesting characters in the series.
After this post, I am going to start season 3... [no spoiler please!]
I just hate the fact that I am crying in each and every episode! It is just me??? I hope not.
It has been one busy week for me. I had to attend one week of training in preparation for the coming tax season. And I will be juggling 2 jobs in the next 3 months... or should I say 3 jobs - one at the airport [part-time sched], one at the tax office [full-time] and my permanent job at home! This will be the first time I will be juggling these things all at the same time. Wish me luck!
I will have a little help around the house as my MIL promised to help me this time. She's arriving end of Feb and will stay till end of April. I hope my kids will not give her a hard time. I know they are excited to see their grandma but they can be hard headed when they want to. Yes, I believe my son is entering the "rebellious stage" and my daughter is close behind.